Tuesday 3 November 2009

Lemon Barley Cob


Thanks to the weather gods, we were treated to a wet and windy Sunday this weekend. So we stayed in and baked stuff.

I made a Lemon Barely Cob (from Dan Lepard's bread book). Using white leaven, strong white flour as the base we added into the mix barley flour, lemon juice and zest, and a spoon of honey.

A great bread roundly praised by my lovely wife, Ms G. A nice soft loaf, the lemon and honey doesn't overpower the bread but gives a gentle sweetness particulary in the crust. Sprinkled with a light dusting of salt flakes the bread has a nice spiky crunch. The perfect bread to go with oily sardines, roasted peppers and tomatoes, or a slice of Red Leicester.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there - nice site. I found you via your wife's post on a thread about gluten on cam.misc, so can I assume you're in Cambridge (as I am)? My site is breadsecrets.com - I haven't updated the blog lately but I'd be interested to hear what you think.

    Cheers,

    - guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great site, this will be added to my favourites. I'll be using some of your tips the next time I bake. You should update your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete